Stress is a normal part of life, but if you’re experiencing more stress than usual, you could be noticing a difference in the clarity and quality of your skin. Learning what to look for, as well as developing all-natural ways to manage stress, are essential in having healthy skin and better mental well-being.
Understanding How Stress Affects Your Appearance
Chronic stress has many negative aspects, including making your skin more reactive. If you’ve ever noticed that your skin becomes more prone to breaking out when experiencing higher-than-average levels of anxiety, you’re not alone. Stress causes your body to produce more of the fight-or-flight chemical called cortisol, and one of its side effects is to ramp up the production of oil in your skin.
Stress can also exacerbate existing skin problems, such as rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis. If you are feeling too anxious to cope with daily tasks, you might even skip parts of your skin care routine, which can create the ideal conditions for clogged pores, dull skin, and premature aging.
Problems with your skin can deepen your cycle of stress, too. Some people start to feel self-conscious about their appearance, which can also interfere with their mental well-being.
Healthy Ways to Minimize the Impact of Stress on Your Skin
Some amount of stress in your day-to-day life is unavoidable. However, you can find sensible outlets for managing stress and improving the quality of your skin. The next time you feel overly anxious, consider these tips.
- Don’t neglect your skin care: If stress is wearing you out, you might go straight to bed at night without washing your face or applying a nighttime moisturizer. Avoid the temptation to do this. It’s worth the extra few minutes to take good care of your skin.
- Make time for self-care: Self-care is any healthy activity that makes you feel better about yourself. It doesn’t have to be fancy, expensive, or time-consuming. For example, take a 10-minute walk around the block, or make yourself a soothing cup of herbal tea to enjoy while reading a book.
- Take breaks from the news: While it’s essential to stay informed, consuming a steady diet of current headlines can cause your anxiety levels to peak. If breaking news is stressing you out, turn off all alerts and notifications on your phone, and limit your news consumption to 10 minutes every morning and 10 minutes every evening.
- Practice yoga and meditation: These ancient practices have helped people relax and regain their mental equilibrium for thousands of years. By teaching you to regulate your breathing and be more present in the moment, yoga and meditation will improve your mindfulness and help you become more grounded.
- Exercise: Working up a sweat will give your skin a healthy glow. Regular exercise will also strengthen your bones and muscles and give you more energy and stamina to complete your daily tasks.
Minimally Invasive Ways to Improve Your Skin
If issues such as premature wrinkles, sun damage, acne scars, and uneven skin tone and texture are cosmetic concerns affecting your quality of life, we invite you to contact us today at Schmidt Facial Plastic Surgery. We are here for you at every stage of the aging process, offering many cosmetic surgical and non-surgical treatments to ensure smooth, clear, and maximally healthy skin.