As the saying goes, “The eyes have it,” but what if your eyes are no longer projecting the youthful, alert appearance you used to have? The thin, delicate skin around your eyes ages sooner than the rest of your face, causing you to look tired or sad. In some extreme cases, sagging eyelid skin can even obstruct vision.
We use our eyes and eyelids to convey emotion more often than almost any other part of our body. Over the years, the cumulative effects of premature aging lead to sagging upper eyelids and puffy lower eyelids, even with the best anti-aging creams and serums. A simple surgery called an eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty can be exactly the solution you’re looking for if you are having issues with the appearance or function of your eyelids.
What Is an Eyelid Lift?
An eyelid lift is a highly effective outpatient surgery that allows Dr. Schmidt to remove excess, drooping, or puffy skin to rejuvenate the appearance of your eyes. The surgery is highly customizable and can correct problems with your upper lids, lower lids, or both, depending on your goals.
When performing the blepharoplasty procedure, Dr. Schmidt can reposition muscles that have become lax, recontour the eyelid area, redistribute fat, and restore a subtly younger shape and structure to the eyelids.
Signs You’re Ready for Eyelid Surgery
People often ask what is the ideal age for blepharoplasty surgery. However, there is no target age range for an eyelid lift because it depends on factors such as the degree of aging you are experiencing, your hereditary makeup, and your skin elasticity, in addition to your unique cosmetic preferences.
For example, a younger patient might want to get an eyelid lift because they inherited heavy eyelids from their parents, or they have genetically thinner skin that has led to early sagging and laxity. Meanwhile, older patients often seek eyelid surgery because they continue to struggle with tired-looking, puffy eyes or significant undereye bags and prominent tear troughs — despite getting the right amount of sleep.
Though everyone’s needs are different, in general, here are some signs you might wish to consider blepharoplasty surgery:
- Sagging upper eyelid skin is impeding your vision.
- Your eyes have taken on a hooded appearance, and it may even look like the rounded part of your upper eye has disappeared into the folds of your eyelids.
- You have dark circles under your eyes due to thin skin and a loss of facial volume.
- The excess skin around your eyes is uneven, leading to trouble applying eye makeup.
Advantages of Eyelid Lift Surgery
There are several significant benefits of having a skilled cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Schmidt perform a blepharoplasty.
- A refreshed appearance: Blepharoplasty is one of the most effective ways to provide you with more open, approachable facial expressions. This surgery can dramatically revitalize your face by improving the shape and appearance of your eyes specifically. Your newly rejuvenated look can also boost your quality of life by improving your self-esteem.
- Clearer vision: Significant drooping of the upper eyelid is a functional concern just as much as it is a cosmetic one. Excess deposits of skin and fat can narrow your line of sight. By tightening the muscles and removing unwanted skin, Dr. Schmidt can make your vision clear again.
- Fewer fine lines: Most blepharoplasty patients enjoy a notable reversal of the telltale signs of aging. To enhance these results even further, you can consider adding BOTOX® injections to temporarily relax the muscles around the eyes and reduce the signs of crow’s feet and frown lines.
- Kiss bags bye-bye: Heavy undereye bags can make you look exhausted, no matter how much sleep you get. A lower eyelid lift can remove those bags by removing unwanted excess skin and tissue below the eye
Denver’s Leading Blepharoplasty Surgeon
As one of the most experienced and qualified cosmetic surgeons in the Denver area, Dr. Jeffrey Schmidt is proud to use his surgical skill and aesthetic eye to provide excellent blepharoplasty results to women and men who want a more naturally rejuvenated look. If you are exploring eyelid lift surgery, contact our clinic to schedule a private consultation with Dr. Schmidt.